Do you have dreams of owning your own beauty brand one day?
Do you dream of your beauty brand appearing on Sephora shelves one day? To be nestled among those beautiful displays, individual products glinting in the spotlight like fine jewels at a jewelry store?
In today’s podcast, I’m explaining why if you ever want to create your own beauty brand, why the strategy of trying to get into Sephora — or any big box retailer — is not the path you want to go down, and why.
What you’re going to learn in today’s podcast:
- How much it actually costs a small brand to occupy shelf space at Sephora (with actual numbers. Spoiler: it’s at least 100k a year).
- What to take away from the doomed example of Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics and their Sephora contract
- The problem with big box stores and the “pay to play” system
- Why it’s a good thing that millennial spending habits are killing big box stores like Applebees
- How to succeed as a small brand without going the big box route
- Why you should join the Homebrew Beauty Revolution
Links Mentioned In this episode:
- Sign up for the Homebrew Beauty Revolution
- Join the Sabbatical Beauty Facebook group to meet other likeminded folks
- Follow my Twitter account, the Sabbatical Beauty Instagram and the Sabbatical Beauty Facebook Page to see my explicitly political skincare marketing strategy
- My original response to the VOX article on Sephora vs. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics